Parish Council History

Formation of Whatton Parish Council 1934

Whatton Parish Council - as it was then, without the 'in the Vale' tag -- was formed following a parish meeting held in the Schoolroom on Wednesday 28th November 1934.

The meeting was chaired by Mr. E P Richardson, and nine names were put forward for election to the new council. They were Buxton, Stanley John, Greasley, George Frederick, Hall, Alfred Thomas, Heazell, Edwin Henry, Matthews, Ernest Fred, Mitchell, Joseph, Mumby, Alfred, Olivant, William Henry, and Tyler, Arthur.

Voting:  On the names of the Candidates being put to the Meeting the votes given for each were as shown in the above table.

Following a vote, the chairman announced that the following seven persons elected Parish Councillors for the Parish of Whatton for the period ending 15th April 1937: Stanley J Buxton, George F Greasley, Alfred T Hall, Ernest F Matthews, Joseph Mitchell, Alfred Mumby, and Arthur Taylor.

On the motion of Mr. Hall seconded by Mr. Buxton Mr. EF Matthews was unanimously elected Chairman for the ensuing period ending 15th April 1935. Mr. A.T. Hall was elected Vice­ Chairman for the ensuing period on the motion of Mr. Buxton seconded by Mr. Greasley.

Clerk:  On the motion of Mr. Buxton seconded by Mr. Greasley it was resolved that Mr. F T Stokes, Aslockton be appointed Clerk to the Council at a salary of three pounds (£3. 00) per year. The appointment to be determined by one calendar month's notice on either side.

School for Meetings: It was resolved in the motion of Mr. Hall seconded by Mr. Tyler to pay the Managers of Whatton School the sum of ten shillings per year for all Meetings of the Council or Parish and any Committees appointed by the Council.

Footpaths: The Chairman undertook to call the Highways Surveyors attention to the practice of horses being driven on the sidewalks in the village.

Drains: The Clerk was instructed to call the Sanitary Inspectors attention to a defective sewer near the Blacksmiths shop.

 

The following are the minutes of the first 'official;' meeting of the council.

Chair:    On the motion of Mr Hall seconded by Mr Buxton Mr E F Matthews was unanimously elected Chairman for the ensuing period ending 15th April 1935.

Minutes: The Minutes of the Meeting were read and signed.

Chair:  Mr. A.T. Hall was elected Vice-Chairman for the ensuing period in the motion of Mr. Buxton seconded by Mr. Greasley.

Quorum: On the motion of Mr. Buxton seconded by Mr. Hall ii was resolved that Any four members of the Council constitute a quorum.

Clerk:   In the motion of Mr. Buxton seconded by Mr. Greasley it was resolved that Mr. F T Stokes, Aslockton be appointed Clerk to the Council at a salary of three pounds (£3. 00) per year. The appointment to be determined by one calendar months’ notice on either side. The salary to be apportioned as from the eleventh of December 1934.

School for Meetings: It was resolved in the motion of Mr. Hall seconded by Mr. Tyler to pay the Managers of Whatton School the sum of ten shillings per year for all Meetings of the Council or Parish and any Committees appointed by the Council.

Footpaths: The Chairman undertook to call the Highways Surveyors attention to the practice of horses being driven on the sidewalks in the village.

Drains: The Clerk was instructed to call the Sanitary Inspectors attention to a defective sewer near the Blacksmiths shop.