Whatton Conservation Area
Designated in 1973, the Conservation Area doubled in size following a re-appraisal in June 2007, it includes 5 Listed Buildings or structures.
Whatton old village is unusual in that it has no discernable main street, but is rather a collection of narrow lanes, high hedges and scattered cottages.
The 11th and 14th century Grade II* (two star) church of St John of Beverley underwent significant restoration in 1846 and again in 1870. A number of fine Lime trees and a mid 19th century Grade II Listed boundary wall surround it. Within the Churchyard is a group of Grade II Listed headstones dated 1710 – 1748. Arranged in line, the seven stones of Leicestershire slate are all to the Carpendale family.
The expansion of the Conservation Area now includes the Grade II Listed windmill tower located off Conery Lane.
In addition to the listed building, the conservation area contains a large number of unlisted buildings that make a positive contribution to the conservation area.
The documents relating to the Conservation area can be viewed from this page.